Friday, April 17, 2009

Love Languages

Tyler had me get this book from the library for him to help him research more ideas for the intense marriage counseling he's been doing lately. So, I ended up reading it too -- along with about 3 other books by this same author. :) I find his ideas very interesting and mostly inspiring.
The basic idea is that everyone has a particular "love language" in which they thrive. The 5 different "love languages" are: 1. Quality Time, 2. Words of Affirmation, 3. Gifts, 4. Acts of Service, and 5. Physical Touch.
After reading the book - I discovered that my love language is Acts of Service and Tyler's is Physical Touch. At the end of the book is an extensive quiz to take to determine for sure ... and we were both right on. My Mom, Dad, Kristy, James, and Melynda were all Quality Time ... with close second languages. Due to copyright laws - I'm not sure I can post the quiz on my blog. But, I'm very curious as to what each of you think your love language might be? How do YOU show your love for others (spouse and children mainly)? How do you FEEL love from your spouse? Use only those 5 categories to decide which one fits you best ... and let me know.
Then check out this book if you're interested. I found it to be very insightful ... albeit cheesy at times. :)
PS - Thank you Leisy!! Here is the website to take the quiz to find out what your love language is: http://www.greaterquest.com/LoveLanguages.asp

10 comments:

Linz said...

That sounds like a wonderful book! I would have to quess that I would be Physical touch, and probably Michael too. I am interested in the quiz! I'll have to check this out!

Kent and Leisy said...

I really like the book a lot!! the quiz is online- you can take it at
http://www.greaterquest.com/LoveLanguages.asp
I think that is the same quiz as in the book- from what I remember anyway. I want to have Kent take it- but I bet that we are almost exactly the same! my highest is physical touch- but quality time is just a point away. I would have guessed that exactly. I only had one act of service point!

Pat and Brent said...

It was fun to take the quiz and see how we relate. It is always good to try and understand our partners better to keep the relationship strong. :)

Katy said...

I am Words of Affirmation and Acts of Service. Very interesting though! I think Brandon would be Quality Time.

Kent and Leisy said...

9 Words of Affirmation
9 Quality Time
8 Physical Touch
Hmmm... I guess I'm tri-love-lingual! (Leisy was 9,8,7 on the same three). Maybe I'm just easy to please. I scored very low on acts of service - Maybe it just bugs me when I feel like Leisy should be spending time with me, telling me how much she adores me and touching me rather than folding my clothes. :)

tiffany said...

i took this quiz just now on facebook im words of affirmation

Linz said...

I took the quiz too! I was right - physical touch!

Michelle said...

Wow you guys! I seriously NEVER thought so many people would have physical touch as their love language. (I had 11 Acts of Service points ... the highest you can get in one area is 12). I think I had 2 or 3 in physical touch. It's so weird to me!! :) haha.

And Kent ... I would MUCH rather have a pile of clothes folded for me instead of touching, time, OR words. Does that seem terrible? I always used to get SOOOO mad at Tyler when I was doing dishes or laundry ... and he just follows me around and hugs me and touches me. AGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! I was ready to strangle him! ;) Thank heavens we have both learned what we need to make the other happy. Thanks for sharing you guys!

Plonnie said...

jer and i took this test earlier. i can't remember what we were because we got distracted when we couldn't keep our hands off each other... hahaha

really, we took it.. we both were quality time and touch. good thing we can spend quality time touching eachother. 2 birds one stone. haha!

Heather M. said...

I thought this was intriguing, so I took the quiz. I am evenly split between words of affirmation and quality time. It was an interesting quiz, and you've sold me on yet another book. I'm adding to the list of books to read next year. :)