Friday, July 25, 2008

The Little Leak ... Not so Little

About a week ago, we noticed some water damage in our kitchen wall. Very random. We thought maybe we had put away the food chopper full of water from the dishwasher on accident and it had dripped out of the cupboard. But, lo and behold, the next day - we saw the leak start again. So, we called Fieldstone. It was the weekend. It grew from about a one inch circle to this ...

The Warranty Representative came by on Monday to check it out and was just as perplexed. So, she started digging through the wall - and ... yep. There is a pipe right there (see the black thing on the right of the whole). A drain pipe to be exact - and it was dripping.

She got the Project Manager out here right away. He removed the microwave and 2 sets of cabinets. He discovered that Whirlpool (the type of microwave we ordered) decided to install our microwave bracket right into the drain pipe. Brilliant. And, hopefully it was an accident. :\

So - now we have a huge mess. They cut out the wall barely around the pipe and a plumber came and fixed the leak (we wrapped a towel around it to catch the drip from our AC condensation until he could get here ... we weren't about to go without ac). How disgusting is the mold that has grown all over the back of our cabinets? Our kitchen is a little torn apart. Come Monday - it'll be completely out of order. They will be replacing quite a bit of drywall - and may need to take out the kitchen counter and lower cupboards. Our cabinets will be replaced as well.
Thank heavens for warranties! Poor Whirlpool guys - I think they get to foot the entire bill. They weren't too pleased when they came by to see the damage. Pretty gross, huh?

10 comments:

Pat and Brent said...

I'm so glad you'll get it all fixed without question. I'm so sorry you have to go through it! It's hard to have your kitchen torn apart. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

At least it happened before the warranty expired! I can't imagine having to pay for that mess!

tiffany said...

yea thank heavens for warranties. thats great you dont have to pay for it.

Plonnie said...

oh my goodness!! i'm glad you took pics, because that is just unbelievable!! that mold is gross. glad it will all be out soon!

love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a headache! I'm glad you found out before it got any worse and that they are fixing it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon!

Linz said...

Yikes!! What a mess! I am so grateful that you had a warrenty too! Hopefully it will be fixed quickly!!

heidi said...

What a pain! But really good you have the warranty.

The Davies Family said...

Dang, that stinks! I'm glad you were able to get it fixed without cost to you! So, funny story..I forgot your parents moved and as I was going to my parents house the other day I about walked over and rang the doorbell. I kept looking at the cars in the driveway and thinking..'hmm did the Miller's get new cars..all of them?' luckily I had to run off somewhere and safed myself the embarassment..haha

Michelle said...

haha. Lex - that is so dang funny.

Elisa said...

I feel your pain! We have had a similar situation with the house we just built and now we are fighting with insurance companies who think they shouldn't pay! What a nightmare!