If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look like this ...
- 60 Asians
- 12 Europeans
- 8 Latin Americans
- 5 from USA and Canada
- 1 from South Pacific
- 14 Africans
- 49 would be female
- 51 would be male
- 82 would be non-white, 18 white
- 67 would be non-Christian, 33 would be Christian
- 32% of the world's wealth would be in the hands of only 5 people and all 5 would be U.S. citizens
- 80 would live in substandard housing
- 24 would not have electricity
- 33 would not have access to safe water
- 67 would be unable to read
- 50 would suffer from malnutrition
- One would be near death, 2 would be near birth
- Only one would have a college education
- 7 would have internet access
When you consider our world from such a perspective, the need for both acceptance and understanding becomes glaringly apparent. I've been feeling really down lately - and this was a big reminder for me to count my blessings.
9 comments:
Wow,that's really interesting! Makes me grateful!
That's really interesting Michelle. Where did you find that?
I just heard a radio show about a book a guy just wrote about what's happening in Zimbabwe. It was loco! He said the American dollar is worth 10 billion of their currency right now. Their life expectancy is 34 years old. Wild. We really are so insanely blessed.
That even gives a greater understanding of the promises given in the B of M for this land. Wow - do we ever take things for granted!
thnks for the post very interesting. im going to copy & paste it on my blog too
Heidi - I actually got it out of a newsletter. I canNOT believe what is happening in Zimbabwe! I have lived such a sheltered, spoiled life (THANK HEAVENS)!
Just keep remembering all of these things while you're contending with your leak. It really puts things in perspective! Let us know how we can help while it's all being done.
It really is amazing the blessings I have. I am reminded of my blessings on a daily basis while I am at work. Thanks for the reminder!!!!
-B
just tonight, jer and i were downstairs, debating over a few movies we wanted to watch. suddenly i got frustrated, "jer, we are getting a laptop!! i wish i could just sit right here and look up the reviews, instead of walking all the way upstairs to find them on the computer up there!"
wow... how awful is that!!!! embarassing!
i'm sorry you've been down. don't be down. lets have some magna doodle time. my form of therapy :)
love you guys!!
Post a Comment