I just read this book: "A Celebration of the Piano Lesson Note by Note" and I absolutely LOVED it! Obviously, I AM a piano teacher - so that might have something to do with it. I really could not put it down. Tunstall's writing is so articulate and expressive - I found myself nodding in agreement so often .... chuckling along with her "student stories" and feeling excitement, disappointment, and anxiety along with each of her personal experiences as a teacher and student.Here is part of one of Tunstell's opening paragraphs ...
"What is the enduring appeal of the piano lesson as a basic ritual of American childhood? ..... Piano lessons are not only about music but also about trust and confidence, chaos and order, spontaneity and discipline and patience, sometimes even about love ... and once again, and always, about music: its beauty, its power, its capacity to convey profound emotions beyond the reach of words. This is true from the beginning, the very earliest lessons."
Mostly, though, I felt motivated ... not only to be a better piano teacher ... but, to find more joy in what I do every day ... and not just as a musician. To experience life to its fullest - every step (note by note) of the way. I find so much joy and pride in learning a piano piece ... and I feel that same way with each of my students ... and my children. Life is full of those moments of beauty - and I am so thankful for those. Tyler has to work many extra hours this week to make up for the time he took off while Krystal was sick and in the hospital last week - and, despite my depression about that, I feel so much joy for the friends and family I have ... for the work that I have to do -- that gives me purpose.
Wow ... I really rambled on. Anyway - here's to a good book that made me ponder life. :) I highly recommend it. And ... be sure to play a piano today, too! ;)
7 comments:
Wow! Thanks for sharing! I felt me heart strings tugged as I read this post! Music is a powerful thing! Even though I don't play the piano well, I have spent my whole life with music through the violin. I love music. Now I can't wait to read this book!!
i second the "Wow!"!!!! i totally want to read it and learn how to play piano and become a piano teacher!! there ya go! wow. good post, loved reading it!!
here here to life and all the moments of beauty that can be found in it!
LOVE YOU!!
baking??
thanks for the post i loved i agree with lindsay it pulled my heart strings i dont play an insturment at least not very well any way it would drive me nuts not to be able to listen to it. i bought poveraty spelled that wrong sorry sining o come all ye faithful in italian for a ring tone last year and loved it. i have alwaya admired you and tracy and people main;y you and tracy for being able to play the piano so beuitafully. i regret not sticking to playing the piano maybe someday i will start taking lessons again
I can't wait to read it. I found your post to be very inspiring!
Michelle! I could sit and listen to you play the piano for HOURS!! I love how expressive you are and how much meaning you put into every piece. It's like you are sharing a little bit of yourself through the music ~ You play the piano the way you live your life - to perfection! Kent
I agree with Kent. That is why I always wanted to play to be like you. I know I need to practice and do the work. But it is so much more fun to just liesten to you. You are amazing!
This brought back visions of you, Michelle playing the piano - first as a small child before your feet could reach the pedals; with your little face trained on the music as your fingers found the notes. You loved the piano from day 1 and brought so much pleasure to all of us. Thank you for this post. It's really worth it! Can't wait to read the book.
Post a Comment