Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Little History?

We're all feeling quite a bit better. Tyler even made it into work today. So, today after dinner - we decided a short venture outside the house would do us all a world of good. We trecked the short 1/4 mile through our backyard to the old, run down sugar beet factory. It was pretty amazing up close and personal.

We tried to look up something, ANYTHING about this factory and what happened to it. We've HEARD that it is a registered Historical Monument - and we've HEARD that it might eventually be turned into a museum. However, we can find no information at all on line. Does anyone know anything about this specific Spanish Fork factory? What year it was built? How long it was up and running? It's pretty blackened all over - was there a fire? We were hoping to turn our venture into more of an educational experience for the kids, but we are at a loss. Any ideas of where to look?

Anyway - we had a great time. We didn't go inside very far - just a step or two ... and even THAT freaked Marissa out so bad - Tyler and I had to chuckle. We walked all around the outside, and the kids loved seeing the huge bull dozers and machinery surrounding the building.


So - this is our backyard this Summer ... until the rest of the houses are finished behind us (one more road). It'll be interesting to see what is done there. We're not sure if it's being cleaned up or what right now. People are working there during the day sometimes. Anyway - let us know if you have any info. Thanks!

9 comments:

Plonnie said...

tyler! i am so happy that you are feeling a bit better. it was so sad that you were feeling so awful for so long. glad things are a bit better.

how fun to take a little family exploring! i bet aaron loved it! kevin wants another sleep over. so we'll have to arrange it soon, and i still need to have my nacho party!! when shall we? the saturday before baby ty comes? what say you?

anyway... we'll see you soon i hope! love you always!!

Kent and Leisy said...

check out http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/statehood_and_the_progressive_era/thelehibeetsugarfactory.html

It looks like the factory was built as a satellite factory to the Lehi one- the two were connected by a 22 mile pipe!

Kent and Leisy said...

the address got half cut off-sorry

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/statehood_and_the_
progressive_era/thelehibeetsugarfactory.html

there's the whole thing!

looks like a great place to go exploring!!!

M- your favorite said...

Your kids are so cute. Why was marissa so scared to go inside? she is a silly girl. anyways gald to hear that you are all feeling better. that is great news!

Linz said...

I am so so so glad that you are feeling better! That looks like a fun outing! I don't know anything about that factory, but I'll let you know if I can find anything out!

Pat and Brent said...

Well - for one thing, you're great grandfather Ike Taylor worked there. That's the extent of my knowledge of the old beet factory.
Looks like a fun outing. I'm so glad you're all feeling better. Please stay that way for a while!

tiffany said...

i agreewith lindz glad your better looks like tons offun at the outing and i dont know anything about the factory i didnt even know great grandpa taylor worked there

Mom and Dad said...

I am gldad you are all feeling better. I loved you pictures and the fact you all went exploring at the factory.

I really don't know anything about it but always thought it was a cannery of some kind. I know Spainish Fork had a cannery during the 50" and 60"s.
You might want to call the city offices and ask if they have a city historian. I think most cities have a historical society of some type, or if not perhaps the county does.

The Davies Family said...

try going to your library as well..I'm sure they'll have micro fiche or even a book about it..you could even look into the 'dream mine' (you know that crazy white building on the mountain that has an eerie feeling whenever you get near it)yeah that ones a little sketchy because it involved a bishop who had a dream that an angel told him to mine it and he ended up taking tithing money and anyway..lots of good history. I don't blame Marissa about not wanting to go inside the beet factory..it used to scare me too. In fact, I always (for some weird reason) thought it was the place Joseph Smith was killed..oh and President Lincoln..don't ask me why. I think there is someone who lives on the property (always at Christmas they have pictures of Christ projected on the building)