After leaving Boston, Our first stop was Palmyra. Brandon and I drove 6 hours in a big old truck, only to become hopelessly lost. We thought we were following the directions perfectly, but ended up about 20 miles off course. Driving through heavily forrested towns with narrow streets in a big truck can certainly unravel nerves. But we eventually found our way (thanks a ton Michelle!), and Brandon demoted me to assistant navigator. We ventured out to see Hill Cumorah, The Sacred Grove, and the Smith family farm. It was a wonderful experience to walk where the Prophet walked, and see where God and Jesus Christ appeared to him. We also saw the room where the Angel Moroni appeared to him. All I can say is WAY COOL!
This is me in front of the Hill Cumorah. On the top of the hill is this monument of Moroni. Yes, we went to the top. Is it that hard to imagine me hiking up to the top? We actually drove. HaHa
This is the room where Joseph Smith grew up. It is also the room where the Angel Moroni appeared to Joseph.
This picture was taken in the home that Joseph's Brother built. The wooden box in the picture is the actual box that Joseph Smith used to hide the Gold Plates.
Joseph Smith also hid the plates under these bricks. If I remember correctly, most of the bricks here are the original bricks Joseph used.
This picture was taken in the Sacred Grove. Our tour guide told a neat story about the grove. He stated that the owner of the land (after the Smiths) heard Joseph's story, and therefore, did not clear any of the trees from that area. When he was on his death bed, he instructed his son not to touch any of the trees in that part of the land. The grove has not been touched since the First Vision. These exact trees have witnessed the appearance of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Very moving.
I wanted to get one of those cool pictures of the sun shining throught the trees, but unfortunatly it was overcast. I still think it is a pretty picture though.

After seeing Palmyra, it was off to Kirtland. I'll post those pictures next. I left Palmyra with a greater understanding of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Michelle and I are already planning a trip there. It is something I highly recommend doing!

After seeing Palmyra, it was off to Kirtland. I'll post those pictures next. I left Palmyra with a greater understanding of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Michelle and I are already planning a trip there. It is something I highly recommend doing!




8 comments:
Did you drive through Toledo? If you took i-80 you can see our apartment from the turnpike! I would have fed you guys lunch if you'd stopped!
That sounds so awesome I can't wait to go and take my kids there. I'm sure the feeling of the spirit is unbelievable. Now let's play rock band hahahaha...
wow thats amazing thanks for the post i love love love it the pictures ans stories are amazing
WOW! Tyler that sounds like a great trip. I want to go to Palmyra! It sounds and looks amazing!
Thanks for sharing your trip! looks like you had a lot of fun!
P.S.
I would like to go when you go on your trip. :)
Too bad we missed you guys..on your way to Kirtland you passed by our exit..oh well. Palmyra is so beautiful..you'll have to come back for the Hill Cumorah Pagent..I'm so excited to see it this year. I get to be a part of it doing PR for the Church.
Cool pictures! I loved Palmyra! So beautiful!
What an awesome trip! Glad you were able to go and we're glad you're back!
love the pictures tyler!! glad we are both back in the same state!!
Post a Comment