Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Good Character



I wish I had this kid's attitude.  Two weekends ago - I checked Aaron out of school to get his H1N1 vaccination (on a Friday).  He had ridden his bike to school that morning, and we forgot to go back to get his bike until the next morning (Saturday).  Well -- lo and behold -- it was not there.  I never purchased a lock for it despite Aaron 's begging and my Dad's insistence -- and, it must have been stolen.  Then the weather turned bad anyway - so we were carpooling to and from school.  BUT ... today was nice - so the kids decided to bike.  Aaron had tried riding his scooter to school another day last week and just couldn't keep up with all the bikers.  So he asked if he could just ride Krystal's two-wheeler.  I pulled it down ... purple and pink with white wheels and the words "Sea Star" painted across it ... and said, "This'll work fine, but are you going to be okay if kids maybe tease you?"  He said, "Sure!  It's not really making fun if I'm laughing right along with them!"  Can I just tell you that my heart filled with so much love for this kid when he said that?!?  What a fabulous attitude.

ANYWAY ... when he got home from school he told me that when he biked to his friend's house and his friend saw the bike Aaron was on, they both had a good laugh.  Then his friend said, "Hey!  My sister's old bike is the same one as this.  Wouldn't it be funny if we both rode pink and purple twinner bikes to school?"  Soooo ... they did ... in all their hilarious-ness -- two 7-year-old boys proudly (and laughing all the way) rode their sisters' bikes to and from school.  Ya know - good friends and good character make all the difference.

11 comments:

Zak said...

Ha! I also had the experience of riding a pink bike... only it was the one I got for christmas. My dad got it for me since it was such a good deal at Gart Brothers... but it was definately pink. Not bright pink, but pink. I was surprisingly not annoyed by this, though. I don't remember why it didn't bother me.

Linz said...

That is a great story! What great kids! I wish we were all that secure with outselves!

M- your favorite said...

Aaron is such a great kid. He is so happy go lucky that I just can't stand it. I love that he doesn't let anything get in his way. What a great example!

mandi said...

He's awesome! That's really cute. Alex just got his bike stolen, too! What a crappy bunch of people stealing kids' bikes!

tiffany said...

he is a great kid so sweet

Katy said...

Aww! I am misty! How adorable is that!

Sorry bout the bike though!

Linz said...

Michelle - I told Michael about this story and he wanted me to tell you that he thinks Aaron and his friend are great and very lucky to have each other!

This is such a great post! I just love it!

Pat and Brent said...

Just another example of what an exceptional young man Aaron is. I don't know, but I hope he has some kind of vice to keep him from getting translated. What a sweetheart!

Pam and Rand said...

Katy - I'm glad you got misty too. Curse those Grandma Taylor genes. Wow - that is amazingly mature - are you sure he is only 7?

Zak - I don't remember a pink bike. Are you exaggerating? It must have been a trendy cool color. I'm glad dad gets the blame and not mom.

Jennifer Nielson said...

Can I just say it again... I LOVE your family!! And we want to know when you are going to come to Florida for a visit?!? Thanks for the inspiring post... what a great kid!

Plonnie said...

he never ceases to amaze us all... i wish I could be more like aaron. i love that kid. how did you do it?? he's seriously one of a kind. i love him.