Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Marissa's Talk for YW in Excellence

I hope it's okay with Marissa that I decided to post this. After I read through what she had prepared ... I just wanted to make sure I remembered it for always. We have so many wonderful examples to choose from in our family ... and, I KNOW Marissa has an extra special place in her heart for my Dad - her Grandpa Brent.

Good Works by Marissa Jenson

I think my grampa Brent is a good example of good works. He helps out a lot. He comes when we lock the keys in the car. And one time he helped us put shelves in the garage. Once he even helped my mom weed the whole yard. When I was little we lived in my grandpa's house. I liked to wake up early so I wouldn't miss mowing the lawn with him. Since I was so little it took him a lot longer to mow the lawn when I helped him. But he was really patient because he new I really liked it. My grandpa loved making tents out of blankets and chairs with me - then reading me books with a flashlight in it. Even now he still comes outside with me and plays catch or baseball, or kickball. I love going over to his house to play with him. My grandpa has taught me the importance of good works. I understand that good works happen when we serve and help out each other. Good works can be little things or big things. My grandpa is always there when someone needs help or to help out in any way. I am going to try my best to follow his example.



Marissa wrote maybe one or two talks for her last year in Primary on her own, and I am just so proud of her ability to write and give talks when asked. I know it isn't easy - but, I love that she put a lot of thought into this 90 second little assignment - and it truly comes from her heart. I have a good dad -- it shows, huh?

9 comments:

Linz said...

What a sweet talk! It is so neat that she has that sweet relationship with her grandpa. Thanks for posting this! Missy is a great young woman!

Pam and Rand said...

That is the sweetest talk. Yes, Brent is a good guy - you guys have a great family!

Angie said...

That is great. Thanks for sharing.

Pat and Brent said...

Thanks Marissa,
Pat and I are so blessed with so many wonderful family members.
Love Grampa Brent

M- your favorite said...

She is so dang cute! I just love her! We do have a great family!

mandi said...

That was so tender! What a great grandpa and a sweet sweet girl.

Justin and Lacie said...

She did an excellent at YWIE the other night. It is always nice to see what the girls have to say. Thanks for coming!

Pat and Brent said...

Marissa is such a sweet and beautiful girl!! She's made her gramps feel pretty special.

Plonnie said...

that really is so sweet. your dad is great michelle. i've only met him a handful of times, but he's always so welcoming and kind. i'm so glad that marissa sees that and strives to have the qualities your dad does. mariss is sucha good girl. you're lucky to have her. you're doing such a great job raising her!!