Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pinewood Derby Production Post

Aaron experienced his first pinewood derby this year.  It was a lot of work.  Thank Heavens for gramps who helped him build his car.

1st:  Aaron designed his block of wood to the car shape he wanted.  Pretty cool and only a few erase marks:

2nd:  Grampa Brent cuts and carves:


3rd:  Sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand ... and then sand some more!  [Marissa and Krystal sanded the cut-out parts :)]  EVERYONE took turns trying to sand that dang car!!  They sanded and sanded until I told them AB.SO.LUTE.LY no more ... it was getting a little ridiculous!



Finally .... paint time.  Aaron wanted orange!  We were all skeptical, but it turned out pretty sweet looking:

Gramps added 5 or 6 more layers of paint the next couple of days while we were at home.  Then - we got together again to add the wheels!

Here's Aaron and Gramps smoothing and sanding the nails that hold the wheels on:

Gramps checks (with a magnifying glass) to make sure the nail has zero jagged edges.  Then they had to give it many a tests on the wood floor and re-adjust the wheels until it ran perfectly straight.  [This pic with the very crooked run was the first trial].  

Here's the finished product!  Gramps figured out the weight for us, 'cuz I was LONG done and ready to throw in the towel.  He is awesome.  What a fabulous grampa!  I think Aaron looks pretty pleased too.

Here we are the night of the derby:

Aaron was in the first heat - and you can see the shock on his face as his car was Waaaaaaaay ahead of the other two.

We had THE coolest track that was all computerized, so the whole entire race took like 10 minutes.  Each boy raced 3 times ... once on each track .... and his times were averaged.  And - this face shows it all - Aaron took FIRST PLACE!!!  Hot dang!  (My dad was pretty proud too)!


The boys got to spend the rest of the pack meeting just racing each other for fun.  Krystal felt very special handing Aaron his car at the end of each race:

Here is Aaron and his cub master dad getting his "Fastest Car" award and 1st place medallion.  Pretty cool!

I'm so proud of my husband.  He is such a wonderful cub master.  May was a very extra crazy month for him, but he delegated well (and we have an AMAZING committee), and got his part done, and the derby was a huge success!  I think everyone had a great time.

So cool to win the derby your first year, huh?  Now he's got some pretty high expectations! :/  We'll be hangin' out with gramps again next year!  :)

12 comments:

Linz said...

Way to go Aaron!!! That is wonderful! What a great Grandpa!!!

M- your favorite said...

THAT IS AWESOME! I love the Aaron's look on his face when he saw he car WIN! He is a great kid!

Pat and Brent said...

It's so funny the way we kept telling Aaron he should be happy just to race - don't expect to win. Guess Gramps souped up the car better than he thought! Way to go Aar-bear!

Hillary L said...

So much fun. Where did you get the computerized track? How much was it? We do ours in the fall.

Michelle said...

Hillary -

We hired a guy from Salem. I'll find his name and number. He was $90.00. Our ward has a pretty good budget for Cub Scouts. It was seriously amazing and totally worth it!

Michelle said...

PS - he may know of some other options closer to you.

Kent and Leisy said...

Impressive. I think my first pine wood derby car was a disaster and they kept getting better every year.

I like Aaron's hair. I think I would have gone a little shorter on the sides. Give him more of a high and tight military style! :) Kent

Pat and Brent said...

Thanks for letting me help out. I had alot of fun. I guess I learned with Kent's cars. We had fun then also. Great memories with Kent and now with Aaron. Love Grampa

Pat and Brent said...

PS: see that work bench in these pictures My brother Craig and I built them some 36 years ago when we were during finish carpetry work. I use it all the time.

Angie said...

Cool! Congrats to Aaron. (I can not wait until I never have to think about a pinewood derby again.)

Michelle said...

HAHA Angie!! I bet. I told Tyler several times during last month that maybe we shouldn't have Pinewood Derbys. Making those cars is STRESSFUL!! NOT easy.

Dad - you rock. That work bench has served you well! I tell ya what ... it's the memories that count, huh? That'll keep the pinewood derby going as much as anything.

Larry and Cindy said...

Way to go Aaron and Grandpa Brent. You have got some serious skills, in the pinewood derby car making department and in the basement finishing department. I could seriously use some help with my sewing closet, if you are ever in Las Vegas. Love To All, Aunt Cindy