Thursday, June 21, 2012

Race for Red 2012

My mom and dad are awesome. Period. 

 They got us all involved in the Race for Red 5K this year -- mine and Marissa's first! It was really a cool thing to do all together - and I couldn't stop taking pictures, of course. :)

Here we are at the finish line ... before the race has started.  I just loved the flag and all the balloons!
Getting some last minute stretching in:

Waiting for the "Go" signal. 

Aaron hand picked his running buddy --- the Gma!

It was really crowded right at the start ... and Marissa started feeling a little anxious -- so, we hooked arms for the first bit so we couldn't get separated.  And then we were off!

The father was cracking up at me trying to get a picture of him setting off ... while I was setting off myself ... and while I was still hooked to Marissee.  haha!

Here are me and Miss at the 1 mile mark!!!!  We're lookin' pretty darn good if I do say so myself  (the guy behind us looks beat, don'tcha think?  We are awesome.  haha!)  Probably the fastest mile I've ever run in my life -- because Marissa pushed me so hard.  The whole 5K we pretty much argued the whole time about whether we should be walking or running.  I was arguing for the walking side -- that's a no brainer!  Marissa kept setting us goals for how far we would run - and then I would try to get her to walk as long as she would.  IT WAS HARD!!!!  She's pretty motivating - and she never left my side.

I tried to use the "let me get a picture" excuse at the 2-mile mark to rest up for a bit, but Marissa gulped down her water and said, "C'mon - we have to run until we get to that tree!"  And, just for the record -- "that tree" was a super long far way away!  But, I did it.  Marissa sprinted the last stretch and came in about a minute before me.  I was very happy to be done -- and very proud of both of us!

Aaron crossed the finish line with a big huge smile on his face ... and the parentals weren't too far behind him.  I love that Marissa is standing there clapping and cheering for them (on the right).  :)

Whew!  ... and WOOOOOOOOH!!!  We did it!

Good thing it started early - 'cuz it got pretty warm by 9am!  Here we are in all our glory:
(L-->R:  Aaron, Gma, Miss, Me, Gramps)

We did quite a bit of waiting at the end (because we were all so speedy, of course!  ;))

Thanks to my running buddy, Marissa -- and her incredible motivating (ahem ... arguing) skills --- I took 3rd place in my age group!!  Woot!  Woot!  Proud moment right there, folks!  Sorry Miss Dee, for slowing YOU down!  She and Aaron have decided to run together next year so they can earn some ribbons.  My time will probably double without Marissa by my side.  Great.  ;)

The studly parentals placed 2nd and 3rd in their age groups.  Way-ta-go Seniors!!  :D!  jk -- they know that they totally rock.  And Marissa won a Subway card in the drawing, so she was way stoked.
Gramps took us to McDonalds for breakfast after the race -- and, I could have sworn that I got a picture, but I can't find it anywhere.  So, we'll just have to remember!  What a great memory we created together.  I hope we do it every year!  And maybe Krystal will join us next year -- and then Tyler can too.  And, maybe I won't be sore for a whole week after the race either.  haha!   Good times.  Good times.  Thanks Mom and Dad!!

3 comments:

Linz said...

Way to go!!!! That is so awesome! Maybe we could come up and do it next year too!!! :)

tiffany said...

im super impressed with all of you i totally would be walking the ENTIRE TIME im proud of all of you

Kent and Leisy said...

Loved the play by play with pics! Super cool - congrats! - Kent