I have to admit - my grandpa's funeral was really a moving meeting and neat day. He and my grandma have always been very big on keeping the family close, and being able to be with nearly everyone this week was just priceless. I know grandpa was smiling down from Heaven.
Here is my Mom (right) and her twin (left) with my Grandpa's twin brother Dean and my sweet Grandma:
Grandma and my Mom:
Grandpa's funeral service was so cool. Some of my favorite memories of the talks given:
... "I'm sure Don is up in Heaven right now tweaking the faulty wiring on a flickering star or searching through closets trying to find a decent set of golf clubs."
... When grandma had their 5th child - grandpa took the 4 other children (the oldest was like 6 or something) and their cat with her entire litter of new kittens to the cabin in Strawberry. He had the kids count how many times the cat meowed on the way there ... the kids got bored around the 300th meow or so.
... Grandpa's unique way of teaching Larry how to catch a baseball.
... Grandpa teaching my Mom and Aunt Pam (and himself) how to ski on the Black Diamond run!
... The long list of amazing things all of grandpa's kids and grandkids have done. He truly was proud of us all.
... The fact that a lot of us tease that his name is actually "Dammit Don" thanks to my grandma saying that so much to him.
... I don't believe I've heard quite such colorful language over the pulpit before in my life. (I loved it - it just felt right - regardless of how wrong it was. :))
Grandpa was in the Air Force and had this honor guard participate in his burial:
Folding the flag - and - IN.CRED.I.BLE. taps on the bugle ... seriously, one of the most moving things I have ever heard. I wish I had a video.
Grandma was presented with this flag in the name of the President of the U.S. himself!
We all were very emotional ... even the AarBear.
Here are some of the beautiful flowers that were given for grandpa's funeral. He worked at BYU for a really long time - and they gave the cool 'Y' bouquet.
We get together (as much of the family as possible) for every Halloween and Christmas at least - that is something Grandma and Grandpa have always insisted on. But - it still has been awhile since we've all been together - and having that today was really special. I'm so grateful for the traditions grandma and grandpa have instilled in us.
At the luncheon:
Love you, Grandpa!
I hope you're planning all kinds of hauntingly fun Halloween Parties for others to enjoy!

6 comments:
That's a sweet tribute. I took tons of pictures and am going to get a CD of Amanda's pictures from her and make a book for grandma. I'll probably steal some of yours, too. :-) I did get a video clip of Taps. I'll have to post it...
aww sweet post i also loved the colorful vocabulary from the pulpet thats the taylors for ya my dad claims he got fired from teaching gospel doctrine becuse of his curseing
That was so sweet. I miss Grandpa. And the funeral was so wonderful! And yes - the colorful language from the pulpit somehow just seemed to fit. lol!
Hearing the Taps played was about the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. I want to thank him, but they marched away. I hope he knows how special that was for us.
I was SO happy to see you and everyone there. Love you!!
Thanks for this blog. It was such a nice tribute to grandpa. We do have an awesome family.
michelle!- you are so great!!
I loved this post! Thanks for posting Michelle. I really would have loved to be there. - Kent
Post a Comment