What a week I had. It started off with a training I was asked to attend for my job. My employer at Wasatch Mental Health provides treatment for perpetrators and victims of domestic violence. Since I provide treatment for domestic violence perpetrators, I spent 24 hours in this training. Most of the information wasn't really new to me, but I found myself struggling for the empathy that I need for the perpetrators. We listened to numerous 9-1-1 phone calls (from West Valley) of children calling for help, because their fathers were beating up their mothers. We saw countless pictures of victims and their various injuries due to the abuse. We even watched a video of a woman getting beat by her husband ... this video was filmed by their 13 year old son. I learned that domestic violence isn't confined to trailer parks and wearers of wife-beater T's. It is not just a "poor people" problem. In Utah County - doctors, lawyers, police, and school teachers have all been arrested for domestic violence. It is real.
My weekend consisted of MAJOR toilet issues. But, that's a blog for another day ... and much family is involved anyway - so, y'all know the pain.
First Skiing Adventure!
4 years ago
10 comments:
oh my gosh, tyler... i don't think i could go through that trainng..i think i would just cry the whole time. how sad. thank goodness for people like you that are can help so many different people in so many different situations. you are such a blessing in so many lives... a HUGE one in ours.
lots of love!
and we are anticipating the toilet stories.. haha... reminds me of san diego a bit.
haha!
we are also waiting for the toilet blog! i'd like to hear the story from the perspective of the injured toilet installer. I've only heard it from Kent through michelle (although she may qualify as "injured toilet installer" now thanks to the cut).
Wow, Tyler - that takes a special kind of person to do your job! I know I couldn't!
Can't wait for the toilet post!
Hi Michelle hey are we still on for friday night. i have lost my cell phone so i need to go get a new one. so the blog will be the best way to get a hold of me or my husbands cell if you have that. i hope you guys are doing good and we are excited to see you guys.
Hey TY, I know how you feel about the perpetrators of abuse. I worked with teenage ones for 5 years. It is SOOOO important that we as social workers look at the person (whatever they have done) and find value in them. Kinda the hate the sin, but love the sinner sort of thing. Anyway enough of the social worker soap box. That sounds like an intense training
I haven't heard any of the toilet stories, so I am excited to hear. I must admit that until I read some of the other comments I thought that you had problems while ON the toilet :)!!!!!
-B
OOH TY! You are so amazing that you can go to training and listen, watch kids telling about there parents being beat-up. Everytime I hear of this kind-of thing it makes my whole stomach curl. I really can't believe that there are people out there who do that kind of thing. I know it's real, I know it's scary, I also know it needs to stop. So I am greatful that there are people like you who specialize in these types of things. I am greatful for your understanding and patience in life. Tyler you are such an example to me-Really I don't know how else to say it. You are amazing! I am soooo greatful that you are part of our family! You make Michelle and kids so happy! I just want you to know that you are the best!!
that sounds great michelle. We are super excited we will have tons of fun!
I've had a few experiences with caring for the victim of domestic violence/abuse. It is so sad. It is very hard to have empathy for the perpetrators. Good luck with that. I'm sure they need to feel understood and cared for before they can begin to change.
Very sad toilet saga - glad all is flushing along nicely now.
Wow Tyler. That sounds emotionally draining. It's good you can go home to such an awesome wife and kids. Good luck!
I guess there are times when even the best families can feel some disfunction, but man, what you are describing is really bad. So so sad. I'm sure it does make you realize how fortunate you are to have such a great family. You're bathroom remodel is so nice. It is darling looking!
Post a Comment