Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Learning ...

Aaron decided that he was old enough this year to start reading chapter books. I don't know what my problem is, because that honestly never even crossed my mind. He's a good reader, too!! Good thing he was thinkin'! :) So, anyway - Aaron's nose is in a book quite often now. I still die when I remember the "chapter books" you were reading in 1st grade, Kent ... ya know - the ones I read in 7th grade. ;) I tell ya what ... if you don't know how to read and write by first grade - life gets very difficult quickly. Aaron starts his spelling tests this week - and to be quite frank - I'm not sure he even knows how to write all of his lower case letters yet. They sure learn fast, though! It's amazing. Marissa is actually LOVING school this year. Perhaps it's due to the over-prepared-ness of her Orem 5th grade teacher ... or, even more convincing ... she has a healthly dose of homework each night rather than five hours every night like last year. She has good friends - including her best friend from Orem (Sierra) who moved to SF this Summer (and they are actually in the same class) - so that has been very helpful. So ... a huge sigh of relief from me, because 5th grade last year was pretty much torture - for our whole family. Here is a picture of the cute bag Aunt Cindy made for the family reunion auction. It was love at first sight for Marissa. She loves it!!



I was SO DANG excited to get my hands on Shannon Hale's new book, "Rapunzel's Revenge". So, needless to say, when I made a special trip to the library to pick up my copy that came in - I was surprisingly disappointed. This much anticipated novel, people, is a graphic novel .... A COMIC BOOK!!! I about DIED! However, due to my love for Hale's writing - I will be giving it a try. So ... I'll let ya all know ... probably on good reads ... how the experience goes. Maybe it'll be a learning experience! :)


I have been trying to download a video of Krystal all day - and have now given up. Is there a trick to getting blogger to work on video downloads? When it does work, it takes several hours. Lame. Anyway - Krystal FINALLY knows her ABC's ... and her pre-school is awesome. She's recognizing letters and knows their sounds - and can nearly write her name. Kids learn so fast.

9 comments:

Linz said...

Good job to Aaron and Marissa in school!

I can't believe that is a comic book! Let me know what you think.

I am so glad Marissa like that bag! Mom was so excited to send it up, she will be glad that it is loved!

Kent and Leisy said...

a graphic novel?!?! I don't think I'll even make an attempt. I'm interested to read what you think though!

Kendra said...

Michelle, it was so great to see you and the kids the other night. I have missed you guys and of course, as always, your kids looked darling! Love you guys!

M- your favorite said...

I am still laughing out loud about the Comic book. My favorite part is when you called to tell me. That is so FUNNY! So how is it? any good?

Aaron is so dang cute. What he is reading chapter books? That is awesome!

Cute Marissa, Michelle she is such a good girl. She is so pretty! Your kids are so good. I love them so much!

Plonnie said...

aaron is amazing!! he decided it was time to read chapter books! AMAZING!!

love that bag!! so cute!!

can't wait to see the video of krysie!

let me know how the book goes. i feel like i'm never going to be done with the harry potter books to start anything new!! i'll be checking good reads for the soon to come review... knowing you, you'll be done in 3 days. you're so dang fast!!!

The Davies Family said...

Little Aaron reminds me of Kent. I can't believe he is reading chapter books! What a smartie pants! Love it!
They are growing so fast, holy moly.
That is hilarious about the comic book, WHAT?

Kent and Leisy said...

You have to get Aaron James and the Giant Peach! I fell in love with Roald Dahl in first grade. He looks so proud of his books ~ good job!
No offense to lovers of graphic novels, but just that picture alone makes me want to vomit. I never understood comic books. I can't believe your giving it a shot. - Kent

The Jackson Family said...

I can't believe that is a comic book! I have it on hold at the library-be sure to keep me posted if is even worthy to check out.

Hillary Luke said...

I'm commenting on everything! But I'm dying to know how your aunt made Marissa's bag! It is darling! If your aunt has a pattern or got it off the internet you'll have to let me know. (Or if you have a chance take a close up picture so I can see how she did it...)