Monday, July 27, 2009

This BITES!!

Thanks to some adorable spider - Aaron ended up in the emergency room on Saturday night. He usually has a pretty good reaction to mosquito bites ... so, when he first showed me his leg Saturday morning - he just asked for the anti-itch spray (like he usually does) ... and it didn't look too terribly bad. Then, of course, he wore long pants that day - until he asked for more anti-itch spray that night - when I saw this:

Yowser! Lookin' a liiiiiiiittle more swollen than it should ... and his whole leg, knee down, was sizzling hot!

So - here he is at the Payson ER at 10:30 at night ...


Here's the nasty bite mark:


His ankle got so puffy!


The ER was soooooo busy (we went to Payson hoping for less busy ... but so it goes, I guess)! The doc put him on an antibiotic - wrapped the wound and told us to keep it elevated and on ice for the next 2 days. He had me trace where the red was with a pen on his leg so we could make sure it was not spreading by tomorrow (increased redness would equal IV treatment -- NOT what we wanted).

We didn't leave the ER until 12:30 am or so. THEN we had to wait in line at the pharmacy. Aaron was so tired ... sheesh! So was I!! He got to bed about 2 am - poor lil' dude - he didn't even wake up until I got home from church at noon!


Even though the doc said his leg would stay swollen for several days and not to expect it to heal very quickly - Sunday afternoon most of the red was gone. Haleluah! The swelling is going down fast too. It's funny, 'cuz Ty and I were talking just last week about how we haven't seen ANY spiders in our house this whole Summer. Well - Sunday ... I squished about 5 different bugs. haha ... we still think the bite happened sometime on the 24th -- we were outside all day. Getting through the Summer without a few bug bites is impossible ... but this was a little much for us! BEWARE OF BITES!

11 comments:

Linz said...

!! Poor Aaron! I am so glad that the swelling is going down! I hope he feels better SOON!

Linz said...

PS - I hate spiders...

M- your favorite said...

I also hate spiders. I can't stand them. Poor guy! Glad it's getting better.

Angie said...

Poor kid! I can't believe you had to wait in line at the pharmacy at 12:30 am! That's just crazy.

Pat and Brent said...

Aaron - what a trooper! So sorry he got bitten - terrible!! Spiders are the WORST. Glad he's getting better fast. He's such a sweetheart.

Katy said...

Ouch! That is no fun at all! Hope that he keeps getting better! Spider bites are the worst!

tiffany said...

that stinks im so sorry aaron i hate spirders too they are scary if they are to big to step on i run

mandi said...

I just took Alex in because of his really swollen hand and cheek, but it was just allergies to mosquitos. That is so scary!! I'm so glad he's ok. Man, the ER is NOT fun. You guys are both troopers.

The Davies Family said...

Ugh!! I sooo don't like spiders! Hill got bit last spring by a very poisonous one and now has to get reconstructive surgery on her shin because it did some DAMAGE! Yuck!
Glad he's doin better

Kent and Leisy said...

we've got to get kent made in to a real doctor before your kids grow up!!! you guys have the CRAZIEST luck.

Plonnie said...

that was so sad. aaron handled it well though. but he was so worried at first that he'd have to stay at the hospital, because most of the time he DOES! so sad! he's so brave and i'm glad he's on the mend. bless his heart. he's a sweetie.

i hate spiders so much. i can't think about them without getting worried i'm gonna see one. i'm such a whimp!


p.s. of course aaron has a smile on his face at the ER at 10:30! you have your kids trained so well!!

LOVE YOU!