Tuesday, October 20, 2009

All My Children



Marissa-isms:

Marissa and her cousins were walking back to the condo up in Midway after a swim at the swimming pool when a group of older teenage boys whistled at them from a balcony. Marissa turned around to see who it was ... saw them ... and said, "Who DOES that?" :) (Later, when we asked her about it - she said that she meant to say, "Who goes there?") hahaha! Don't know which one is funnier!

Marissa came home on a Friday after school and told me that she was suppose to do her oral book report on the following Monday. I immediately say ... "oh crap - only the weekend to prepare? Do you want me to help you put together a visual aid or write an outline?" Marissa gives me the most exasperated look I've ever seen and says, "MOM!! I don't want to OVER prepare!" Well. Her plan: wing it. We could NOT be more different. :)



Aaron is at a fabulous age right now. He is motivated, determined, sweet, responsible .... hopefully all these qualities are HIS - and not just the age. Back in September (on Labor Day) he asked me, "Mom, what is Labor Day for?" I told him ... and he replied, "Oh - I thought it was because of Laborham Lincoln's birthday." LOL!

Not too long ago he told Tyler and I (in ALL seriousness, mind you) ... "I'm not that scared of the dark, because I have eyes like a Vampire. In fact, I think I might BE part Vampire." [Ooooooookay. ;) - we seriously didn't even know how to respond to that.]



This Krystal of mine - I honestly have no words. She is sooooooo determined to be a part of every little thing. Several weeks ago, I was teaching Marissa how to do a GOOD job cleaning the bath tub - aaaand how to scrub out the inside of the toilet. Krystal's little body was squirming all over and trying to squish into every spot possible so she could get her little eyes as close as possible to what I was doing. She is always there trying to observe and learn every detail possible. And - I was kind of annoyed with her being in the way that day. But ... it really taught me a lesson. I really need to let her DO more. So - I have made a conscious effort:

We painted our bedroom - and I was putting all of the outlet covers back on - and she got her little nose about 2 inches away from where I was working (like usual) ... asking a million questions (like usual) - and asked if she could have a go. There were 2 left ... and she put both of them on lickety split/no problem while I wiped the rest down. I was amazed.

I also let her paint (almost entirely on her own) the tires for our Cub-Anapolis car. Again - I was amazed at what a good job she did ... with just a few basic instructions.

She is now the offical "dinner helper" also. She can crack eggs no problem - stir without splashing - flip pancakes - really ANYTHING she can get involved in she's happy about. I wish I would have been more patient with my other two ... but, I'm not sure they were as interested and persistent as Krystal has been.



Krystal says millions of funny and adorable things daily - but, I forget to write them down - and then forget them. When she's in the shower - she sings non-stop, and it's so funny when she washes her face (with a washcloth), because she says, "OH yeah. Oooooooah Yeaaaaaah." hahah! Anyway - she is just a busy body and joy to be with.

Just for the record. :)

5 comments:

Linz said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this post!

It won't be the last whistle Missy D gets, so she will be able to use her super funny line again! =D

Auri also claims to be able to see in the dark. Maybe it's a family trait? Or maybe they ARE both vampires! LOL!

Krystal is so $@^%&$ cute it hurts!!!

Great post! Great post!!

M- your favorite said...

I agree super cute post! your kids are one in a million. I love them all so much! They are so dang cute! That Marissa is to funny for words sometimes! Aaron is just so sweet and Krystal is just all smiles all the time! I love your kids to death!

Pat and Brent said...

Nice Job Michelle. I guess Mom and I did a pretty good job. Love you and my grand kids. Love Dad

mandi said...

This IS an awesome post! So funny!! I love the Laborham Lincoln. hahaha Classic.

And why is it so darn hard to let those little ones help?? They want to so bad! I'm really impressed she did those outlet covers by herself. And I'm also impressed that you let her clean the bathroom! (Hope her head's doing better, btw.) I have a hard time letting anyone do the bathroom except me....and then even I don't want to. ugh Anyway, this has encouraged me to let them try more things. Gotta let go of the anal ways....

Plonnie said...

oh y gosh!!!!!!! i LOVE this post!!!!!! not enough words. you're the best mom michelle!!!! you have the best kids!!