Thursday, October 21, 2010

Henry's Lake

We stayed at Island Park during our Yellowstone Trip ... which was just 10 minutes away from Henry's Lake. Tyler has many many wonderful memories with his grandpa at Henry's Lake, so going there was extra special for him. Tyler wrote the following:


Letter to Grandpa
by Tyler Jenson on Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 7:29pm
Dear Grandpa Lundgren

I've been thinking a lot about you this past week. Last week I took my family to Yellowstone and I had many memories of you come flooding to my mind. Just about everywhere I looked I had a memory of you. We stayed in a place called Island Park, which is not far from a place filled with fond memories. Do you remember our trip to Henry's Lake? You took Derek and me. I must have been about 10 or 11, I think. That's where I caught my first fish. You took Derek and me out on a little fishing boat and you were so patient with me as I freaked out about touching a worm and gutting a fish. I felt you truly wanted to spend time with me and not that you had to.

I took my family to see Old Faithful and the hot pots. While I was there I had flashbacks of when we went there. With Derek and me in tow, you walked with us around the hot pots and waited with us to see Old Faithful.

On Sunday of last week we went to Henry's Lake and my kids and I had a contest to see who could skip a rock the farthest. That reminded me of the time you and I threw skipping rocks into the lake. I felt you watching me and smiling down on me. That day was Grandparent's Day. I cannot think of a better way to honor you than to be at Henry's lake with my family.

Thank you for creating so many good memories for me. My family thought I was a bit crazy because I often was teary eyed this trip when I thought of you. You are such a big piece of my life. I can't tell you how much you have influenced me. Thanks for being such a strong example. I miss you so much.

Love,

Tyler



We had a great time here at Henry's Lake together ... trying out the sling shots, skipping rocks, exploring, and visiting.




Hanna and Krystal spent the WHOLE time there collecting rocks and comparing/discussing the cool rocks they found.  :) 
 

 

Marissa's sling shot broke the first time she tried it, so she was pretty bummed.  James-boy broke a random branch to make her a new sling shot that worked like a charm!  Thanks, James-E!  Tyler showed off his spectacular rock skipping skills ...
 

... and the gramps showed off his awesome sling-shot skills!  He keeps us young - this dad of mine!

None of us wanted the trip to come to an end .... and, belieeeeeeeeve me .... getting back to reality stunk.  big time.  :)  So posting these memories a month late was quite rejuvenating for me!  Can't wait for our next big trip together ... we gotta get plannin'! 

3 comments:

tiffany said...

wow what fun trip with the family

M- your favorite said...

I think that I did the best skip rock. Ok better than Kristy. She would throw 3 different rocks in and say "look it skiped 3 times" Thanks for the memories!

Linz said...

That was such a sweet post!! I am so happy that you guys got to have such a wonderful family trip!! Great memories!