Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Story of Spring

March 21st.  First day of Spring, right?  Ahhhh, how we can dream.  And we DID have a few teasers ... but the snow remained.  And when there wasn't snow - there was rain.  TONS and TONS of rain.  This rain drips off the corner of our house down into our planter bed = yucky, muddy mess.  We tried some ramps to help the water drain, but they only sunk deeper and deeper into the mud, and trying to send water UPHILL onto to grass was unsuccessful.  :(

PROBLEM:

Solution NOT working (but notice those cute daffodils/tulips poking through :))!

So we thought on it and thought on it some more ... and couldn't come up with a solution.  Instead, we ignored it the best we could for a while.  And started our garden ... indoors (and, yes - that really IS dirt that Marissa is pretending to eat - not cookie dough or anything ;)):

Look at these cute little guys!

It has turned into an annoying jungle since (except that our watermelon plants died - boo)!

But, how is one suppose to plant a garden when Spring looks like this in mid-April?!?
 

Somehow the sprouted flowers survived ... again and again:

And, despite the cold and dreary, we HAVE had a few days of warmth and outdoor fun.  But - receiving a prize from Linz brightens ANY dreary day!  Look how cute this table topper is I got from her!
 I especially love the cute details in the quilting:


Thank you, Linz - for sending spring straight to our home and brightening my day!

OH, and PS - we have finally just started putting rocks of all shapes and sizes in the flood zone of our planter bed, and that seems to be making a difference.  But, I'm still open to suggestions!
THE END.

2 comments:

tiffany said...

boo for all that rain watermelon plants dieing & especally the snow very cute table topper

Linz said...

That is an awesome indoor garden!!! How fun!

I am glad you like the table topper! I had fun makin git! I had forgotten some of the quilting I did - it does look cute! ;) Except those wonky lollipop suns are still hard for me to look at! lol! Glad you like em!! :)