Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"Baby Names: Why Cool Is Hot"


I just read an article about "what your child's name says about you", and I got a kick out of it. So I thought I would share parts of it with everyone. Apparantly "traditional" names are pretty much becoming void and "uncool", because "more and more parents are after a name that stands out." Furthermore, many parents think that certain baby names say that they're hip and haven't lost their sense of style. (Puuuuu-lease)!

On the other hand, according to the article - only about 10% of boys and girls have been given a name that is found in the top 10 names. ... But wouldn't that mean that the top 10 names shouldn't BE in the top ten?! Anyway - names like Jaden, Jaiden, Jayden, Jadon and Kaylee, Kailey, Kayli, Kayleigh have leapt in the top 1000 names over the past 13 years ... Ethan has made it to number 5 in this same time period (Way-ta-go, Kristy and James - you cool dudes, you!) - whereas, traditional names have taken "3 decades to move up a few hundred places."

Tyler and I have somewhat decided on the name Justice, if we have another baby boy. This article claims that when parents choose unusual, distinctive names like Petyon, Jordan, and Justice - they raise the stakes of making unusual names typical. (Oooo - kay). THEN - the article goes on to offer a solution to this "problem" ... "just avoid cool entirely".

What a hoot! So to all those COOL parents out there that are deciding on names for their kids - name away ... we're all in it together!

5 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

And did you know Ethan was the number one name in Utah this past year? I don't think there is anything wrong with traditional names by any means! Leisy and I think non-traditional names are way cool, especially after being in different countries and hearing names like Yuri, Cibele, Vova and Kirill. We also love to search our family history for unusual names. Did you know we have ancestors named Heman and Bygod! Whatever we name our child it will still be a Miller!! In the words of Shakespeare:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Michelle said...

Marissa = TRENDY
Aaron = TRADITIONAL
Krystal = COOL (Okay, so maybe trendy ... but, I'm still putting it in the cool category :) )
Justice = COOL

Obviously I'm a "wannabe a cool parent" parent :o) - sarcasm to the max!! I like my names - and I think my kids have each grown into their names and they fit 'em perfect (with the exception of Justice - who may or may not exist anyway).

Personally, Heman and Bygod are stretching the "cool" rules. Thanks for the awesome Shakespeare quote - so true.

M- your favorite said...

Michelle- You are totally COOL- you don't need a book or magazine to tell you that. I also like all the names you picked. I think they fit each child also. I personally think I am going to name my child Heman- why not? He was cool?!? Wasn't he?

heidi said...

I saw that article too Michelle. It's funny how they classified all the names into different categories. I'm just looking for names that will fit my kids. It's hard!

P.S. I like Justice.

The Jackson Family said...

Hmm, interesting. I always have the hardest time deciding on a name for my kids. But all I know is that Hanna and Ethan fit my munchkins just perfect. Sometimes I wonder if they'll be known as Hanna J. and Ethan J. because they are more common names.
-Kristy